For more information please Office line at: 0131 664 4798

What kinds of services does the Precious Woman Home provide for residents?
Crisis counseling,
Prayer Support,
Case management,
Access to Legal and immigration assistance,
Access to Social Services & Benefits support,
Child care and educational programs (on-site and in local schools),
Parenting and life skills training,
Assistance in finding and keeping permanent housing,
Support to furnish and move into a new home,
Ongoing help in settling families into their new home and community,
Support groups Programs [The topics covered during support groups changes as the needs of residents changes.

How many people does Precious Woman Home serve?
We aim to assist one woman and their children at a time. We aim to break the cycle of domestic abuse in the next generation by giving women the opportunity to remove themselves and their children from destructive and unsafe environments. Many of these women are also victims of sex trafficking, refugees or those experiencing a housing crisis such as eviction.
Who can come to the Precious Woman Home?
Any woman and her children who are being abused or at risk of abuse can come to Precious Woman. We provide safe havens for those fleeing from domestic violence and abuse.
If you live in close proximity to the shelter you will be assisted to find another shelter subject to availability.
Can I bring my 18 year old son?
No, we’re sorry but we are currently unable to house male youths over the age of 16.
What does it cost to stay at the Precious Woman Home?
There is no charge for staying at our home, however, after an initial period of time and assessment women may be asked to join our Empowerment program which helps to raise funds for our Programs and also lead to them earning a small income.
How do women and children get to the Precious Woman Home?
Some women come through referrals from our Church Faith Connection Network or Sisters Keeper partners. Many come to us via referral from other local women’s aid agencies, the police or a local hospital. Some women find out about our home themselves through a search for information on the internet, or by calling our emergency phone line. If a woman calls and there is a space available our staff will assist her in making a plan to get safely to the shelter. Lastly, some women learn about us through a friend or relative who know of our services.
What if the PW Home has no space?
Your Case Support Worker will help and support you in finding other shelters that may have space.
How long can I stay?
A woman’s length of stay will be determined by her individual needs.
Are pets allowed at the Shelter?
Animals are not allowed to stay in the shelter unless it is a registered service dog, but your Case Support Worker will work with you to find a caring place for your larger family pet/pets to stay. We ask women to focus on prioritizing their own and their children’s safety in all emergencies.
Are residents at the Shelter allowed to drink or use drugs?
There is NO drinking or drug use allowed on the premises. Those found breaking this rule will not be tolerated and may be asked to leave the home immediately. Our main concern is the guaranteed safety of women and their children (many of whom are underage and are easily influenced) and those for whom substance abuse has played a huge role in their domestic abuse situation. We also cannot be held liable or insure those who may choose to abuse drink or drugs due to depression. Each Precious Woman Home is a safe haven and we pride ourselves on creating an environment where both women and their children feel precious, valued and above all, safe.
Can I get counseling from the Shelter even if I don't stay there?
In-house Christian counseling is part of the program for residents of the home.
However, we do run local Precious Woman Support Groups, as part of our community outreach program, which meet up once a month. These groups provide a safe environment for women in or escaping domestic violence to share their stories, concerns and receive encouragement, support, understanding and advice. Call our office to find out if there is a group meeting in your area.
Can I stay at the Shelter if I have a disability?
Yes, but rooms with disabled access are limited. Let the Case Worker know that you will be in need of disabled access in order for us to try and meet your needs.
What kinds of rooms are available?
We aim toprovide single rooms, twin rooms and family rooms.
What should I bring with me when I come to the Shelter?
Bring your basic clothing and personal belongings for you and your children. If you are able to, bring your personal ID and documents such as any passports, birth certificates, benefit books, medical cards, bank books and any legal information etc.. You don’t have to worry about any larger belongings, all our rooms are fully furnished and there are laundry and kitchen facilities available for shared use.
How can I stay safe in my home if my abuser has left?
Our Case Workers can direct you to a solicitor who will help assist you and make you aware of your legal rights now that the abuser has left your home.
How can I help a friend or family member who is being abused by their partner?
Try to find a time when you can speak to them in confidence and let them know you are sympathetic to their situation. Ask them if they have thought about trying to leave or moving to a safer home environment. Tell them about the Precious Woman Home. If you are a family members or concerned friend, we can send you free leaflets and information to share with your loved one. Alternatively suggest that they attend a Precious Woman Support group to get encouragement, validation & information.
What if I don't speak English very well?
Those fleeing domestic violence can come from any ethnic origin or nationality. We do our best to partner with other organisations to provide translators when needed. Contact us and we will do our utmost to make sure your needs are communicated clearly.
What kind of help is available after I leave the Shelter?
We know that life outside of the Precious Woman Home can be very daunting – especially when having to start over on your own or with kids. We provide Aftercare Support to every women where needed and an Aftercare Support Worker who will help each women on an individual basis to make the transition to living on her own. Your Support Worker will provide emotional support and help you navigate your new community, sometimes accompanying a woman to find a new school, GP and to locate other local amenities. Our overall objective is to make the transition from the shelter to a woman’s new home as easy as possible.
How is your organization governed?
We have a Board of Volunteer Directors that govern JHM GLOBAL Scotland composed of people who are passionate about seeing an end put to domestic violence and abuse. The Board establishes the operating policies for the shelter and oversees the charities’ financial performance.
What is your charitable tax number?
JHM GLOBAL Scotland is a Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee. We are registered in Scotland. Our Registered in Scotland number is: SC042864.
What are your sources of funding?
We are funded privately by a network of supporters and other Christian organisations and partner churches. We do not accept any government or agency funding. Community donors and our own fundraising efforts cover the full cost of the services offered to our residents.
All donated money is applied directly to advocacy, our programs and services.
Can I get a tax receipt for an in-kind donation?
Sometimes yes and sometimes no, JHM GLOBAL Scotland adheres strictly to the provisions of the Income Tax office and their regulations. Property of little or only nominal value, e.g. used furniture-- does not qualify as a donation-in-kind. Gifts of services do not qualify. An "in kind" tax receipt can be issued for new items only if they are accompanied by a purchase receipt.
Please call us for further information.
Will I get a tax receipt if I make a donation to JHM Global?
Yes! For more information call 0131 258 8009 or
Email: for further information.
Does the JHM Global solicit funds door to door or by telephone?
No, funds are raised through a number of events during the year and we make a request during the Christmas + Easter season and in the spring & Summer.
How much of my donation goes directly to services?
All donated moneys are applied directly to the Advocacy & Education programs and services we provide.
How do I volunteer?
We are looking for volunteers in a variety of areas including; Outreach/Street Awareness Campaigners, Grocery Bag-Packing Campaigners, Neighbourhood Representatives, Business/Corporate Connection advocates, Christian Counsellors, Self-Defense Teachers/Tutors, Educational community Advocates, Fundraisers and much more.
For information on volunteer opportunities please contact:
Sophie Hopewell,
Fundraising/Volunteer Officer on:
Tel: (0131) 258 8009 or Email: